WINE SENSE RETREAT 2017
at CASTELLO DI POTENTINO
Wine WSET Course, Food Workshop, & Yoga
23rd March - 27th March
27th April - 1st May
21st September - 25th September
12th October - 16th October
This is a five day residential course held in a beautiful medieval Tuscan castle. Learn the essentials about wine (with a special focus on the wines of Italy), following the globally recognized WSET approach.
Eat fabulous food and participate in morning food and wine pairing workshops and afternoon Masterclasses in risotto and pasta making and Tuscan pork butchery.
Enjoy optional yoga classes and morning hikes amongst ancient olive groves looking over Monte Amiata – Tuscany’s Mount Olympus…and return home with a wine qualification – WSET Level 1.
- The course will be led by Decanter Italian wine writer and VIA Italian Wine Ambassador, Emily O’Hare - previously Head Sommelier and Wine Buyer at The River Café.
- Full board including all wines and lodging at the castle for four nights
- Daily Morning yoga practice
- Daily wine sessions and food workshops
- WSET Level 1 course material and certificate. Tasting includes over 20 wines from around the world, including Champagne, Bordeaux and Burgundy with an added emphasis on the wines of Italy
- Afternoon visit to nearby town, Montalcino and evening Brunello tasting and meal at a famous Brunello estate.
- Afternoon spa trip to the ancient therapeutic baths at Bagno Vignoni
- Tuscan Butchery class and courtyard BBQ with Tuscan wines
- Pasta and Risotto Masterclass with local Michelin starred chef Il Silene’s Roberto Rossi in the castle kitchen
- Airport transfers from and to Pisa Airport
- *February stay includes a Champagne tasting, meal and Champagne breakfast to celebrate St Valentines.
Day 1 - February Itinerary
Transfer from Pisa Airport to Potentino
Welcome aperitivo and Wine Tasting with Charlotte Horton, Castello di Potentino’s owner and winemaker who will guide you through the castle’s award winning wines. Four course evening meal in the castle dining room.
Yoga class, breakfast and the course begins, “Introduction to wine, Types and Styles and the Principal Grape Varieties”
Lunch followed by a trip to the town of Montalcino. Free time for shopping, gelato, a glass of Brunello!
Brunello Tasting at "Sesti" in Argiano, Montalcino. 4 course meal with wines hosted by Elisa Sesti on the family's estate.
Yoga Class and the course continues with a food and wine workshop: “The principles of food and wine matching and the characteristics of the Noble Grape varieties.”
Time to relax before a late afternoon trip to the thermal baths of Bagno Vignoni, an ancient village in the Val d’Orcia natural park well known for its hot springs
Tuscan pork butchery demonstration. Learn about the essential cuts in Tuscan cooking.
BBQ on braziers in the courtyard, tasting and drinking! of wines from Chianti Classico and Montepulciano.
Daily yoga and/or a morning hike through the vineyards to the Etruscan winemaking stones (Both optional), Brunch. Wine session “Common wine faults, service and storage”
Freetime to relax by the pool, in the castle libraries, or take a walk into nearby village of Seggiano.
Pasta and Risotto Masterclass with the top Vernaccia from Tuscany’s most famous white wine producing region - San Gimignano, followed by dinner in the castle dining room.
Morning yoga and breakfast
Transfer to Pisa Airport
Prices (in EUROS)
Ensuite (Single Occupancy) 2650
Double Room with private external bathroom (Single Occupancy) 2200
Ensuite (Based on two people sharing) 2200
Double Room with private external bathroom (Based on two people sharing) 1850
Twin Room with private external bathroom (Based on two people sharing) 1850
Triple Ensuite (Based on three people sharing) 2000
Triple Room with private external bathroom (Based on three people sharing) 1550
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org